Today’s daily prompt asks this question:
“In 300 years, if you were to be named the patron saint of X, what would you like X to be? Places, activities, objects — all are fair game.”
I immediately thought of Saint Patrick and how he has his own holiday. This guy did lots of great things and yet his holiday gets reduced to a day where everyone is asked to wear the color green and drinks lots of beer. A fun holiday but not exactly reminiscent of his life and legacy.
So in 300 years I would want to have St. Jacob’s Day and it would just be an awesome holiday with tons of celebration. It would have nothing to do with anything I did or accomplished but everyone would celebrate it and look forward to it each year. St. Jacob’s Day would rival Christmas! Here are some of the traditions and practices of St. Jacob’s Day:
– It is celebrated on Oct. 18th
– You don’t have to go to school or work
– People are encouraged to go barefoot or in flip flops
– Arby’s restaurants would give out free sandwiches
– Cities would have giant corn mazes (they would be in season) and people would compete for the best time. The victor would get to sit on a throne and be paraded around the city.
– Seinfeld reruns would be on TV all day
Dang. I’m sad that I won’t be around in 300 years to celebrate this holiday.